Careers New Zealand's website provides tools and information to support people of all ages to make decisions about their career and education throughout life.
In order to comply with my non-disclosure agreement, I have omitted and obfuscated confidential information. All information presented here is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of Careers New Zealand (CNZ).
CNZ had a huge online presence with a large website (over 5000 pages), written and created for a diverse audience. This extense and complicated website was no longer addressing customer needs. Not only was it difficult to navigate, but when users found what they were looking for, long pages full of text made it difficult to consume. Additionally, the website was not responsive providing a terrible experience on mobile devices.
I worked with the research team to better understand why and how customers were using CNZ's online services (website, chat, email, SMS and call center).
First, we conducted several interviews and used analytical tools to understand our customers' needs and behaviours.
Then, I did a competitor analysis to assess the strengths and weaknesses of other careers information websites focusing on their content strategy and website navigation.
This allowed us to immerse ourselves in the problem and understand the current user experience through data and research.
We hold a series of workshops to make sense of the data collected and to identify customer archetypes, key journeys and touch-points. Then we leveraged these findings to define the project scope.
Our high level goals were to:
improve the overall UX of the website and create positive user journeys that align with all customer segments
design a responsive website as almost 50% of the users were accessing it via a mobile device
improve the website SEO
make website accessible following the WCAG's AA standard.
On this phase we worked together with an external design agency where I was responsible to brief and oversee the work.
We started reviewing the customer archetypes and journeys to identify key personas and scenarios to create ideal user journeys.
Then, we did card sorting exercises with staff members and customers to test if content structure and labelling was intuitive.
Once we were happy with the content structure and labelling we designed wireframes of the main website sections taking into account experience requirements and the number of templates required. Then, we socialised the wireframes with internal stakeholders before transforming them into interactive prototypes for user testing.
Once the final experience has been agreed we developed a full UX design framework – incorporating user journeys, wireframes, navigation model rationale and interaction guide.
This framework provided the external agency with the foundation for the overall experience delivery. They were responsible for the visual design and development of the website.