User list

The user list purpose is to give managers visibility over their workforce.

In order to comply with my non-disclosure agreement, I have omitted and obfuscated confidential information. All information presented here is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of SafetyCulture (SC).

Understanding the problem

Our Success Team, responsible for customer support, reported several issues with the user list. According to them, it was time-consuming, and sometimes impossible for managers to find the information they needed about their iAuditor users (especialy on large orgs). Managers ended up relying on the Success Team to complete even some of the most basic tasks.

I talked to two members of the Success Team to understand what were the most commom requests from customers and how they ended up helping them. Then, I used Intercom to see all customer requests related to the user list. This gave me a good understanding of the painpoints our customers were facing. I also interviewed 2 customers with 50+ active users to understand the challenges they had managing a large number of users on iAuditor.

Defining the scope

The project scope aimed to respond to the following user story. As a manager I want to:

  • perform bulk actions, so that I can easily activate, deactivate and remove users

  • search, sort and filter the user list, so that I can easily find a specific user or see only users that have a particular status

  • export the user list as a CSV, so that I can verify against employee records

  • know whether a new user has accepted an invitation or not, so that I can save time searching for them

  • view used seats vs available seats, so that I can better manage the number of seats I am paying for

  • view the number of extra devices (total and per user), so that I can better manage my extra devices.

With the user story in mind we discussed the project goal and success indicator.

  • Goal: reduce support reliance for basic user management tasks.

  • Success indicator: 20% increase in engagement (pageviews) on the new user list from 30 September 2018 to 14 December 2018.

Exploring potential solutions

The main component of the user list page was a table. We already had a table component on our design system so my main job was to figure out what information we should have on our columns and how search, filter, sort, bulk actions and pagination would work.

Table component

I investigated different table designs to better understand search, filter, sort, bulk actions, pagination and table display on mobile devices. Then, I explored some ideas and designed a couple of low fidelity wireframes to present to the team. All concepts were designed to be responsive and provide a great experience in any device.

Single and bulk actions ideation

I got some feedback from the team and update the wireframes before testing it with the two customers I talked previously. Based on the customers feedback I decided to include both single and bulk actions on the user list table. It wasn't clear for them that they could perform a single action by selecting the specific row first. Their natural behaviour were to go the user profile. However, when asked to perform bulk actions they completed the task successfully.

Delivering final solution

After a couple of iterations and user testings we released the first version of the user list. It started with three columns (name, email, status) and had search and pagination. Then, we kept iterating and added sort, bulk actions and export CSV.

By 14 December 2018, we had over 20% increase in engagement on the new user list and the number of requests coming to the Customer Success team regarding the user list reduced consideraly.

We managed to provide customers with basic tools to selfserve and manage a large number of users. However, the team had to change focus in the end of the project and we didn't release the features filtering nor adding extra columns.

...
...
...
...
User list output